What is X forwarding
X Fowarding is the ability to securely forward X Window System applications over your encrypted SSH connection, so that you can run an application on the SSH server machine and have the windows/GUI up on your local machine.
Why use X forwarding
Let's assume that you have an X application on a remote machine that you need to run like Oracle installation, and you want the windows to open up in your local machine like your laptop. One way to run this remote application is to use X11-Forwarding.
What you need.
Putty - PuTTY is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH for Win32 and Unix platforms, along with an xterm terminal emulator Download here
Xming - Xming is the leading free unlimited X Window Server for Microsoft Windows (XP/2003/Vista) - Download here
Step 1 - Install both Putty and Xming
Step 2 - make sure that Xming is started then run Putty
Step 3 - Input hostname on the hostname field, and Name of the session then click saved.
Step 4 - Go to connection - > SSH - > X11 on the Putty Side bar menu
Step 5 - Check "Enable X11 Forwarding", put "localhost:0" as the display location
Step 6 - Then go back to your stored session then save it again.
You should be able to execute an X Windows apps on the rmeote machine and the windows will display on your local machine now.
Tech Blog's Quick List of other how to below:
- 10 Steps | Remove Virus | Spyware Scanner Download | Free Software
- Easy Network troubleshooting | DNS Problem Guide
- Howto change DNS Server IP to OpenDNS
- Fix | COM Surrogate Error | Windows Vista
- 9 Easy Steps | Setting up a secured home wireless network
- Howto Permanently deleting files | data on your hard disk
- Full filesystem backup | ufsdump - For *nix
- Slow HD | 1080p Playback | troubleshooting | Fix
- Sendmail | Banner change | Disabling VRFY | EXPN
- iPod charging on DVD player w/o dock
- Apple Ipod Jailbreak - 1.1.4 firmware guide and Quickpwn
- Create iTunes Store account | Without Credit Card
- Optimize Windows XP | VIsta
- Hard Disk Recovery | Data Recovery | Test Disk
- Import Outlook PST to Gmail Howto
- Bypass Firewall | Proxy with SSH | Hamachi
- Permanently deleting files | data on your hard disk
- Hamachi VPN a quick guide
- Build your own IDS or IPS
- Download Video from YouTube to your computer
- Bandwidth Monitoring | Free software