Tools you need.
- Download and install something that would allow you to monitor your CPU Cores individually if you have quad or dual core, personally I just installed a gadget for side bar on
Vista, then monitor it form there. You can download and install the free sidebar gadget here
- Download and install a player and Codec such as VLC | CCCP (MPlayer Classic) | CoreAVC (Not Free) | Power DVD(Not Free) - this works for me.
Now to the troubleshooting steps
Step 1 - I would already assume you have a 720p or 1080p HD videos of your own, now we open it in one of our player like VLC or MPlayer Classic.
Step 2 - Now monitor the CPU core usage on your gadget, if you notice it constantly hitting 99% to 100% while playing the HD movie, that is your main problem it is eating up all you resources and the cause of your slow HD playback, at this point it either you have a slow computer that it can’t handle HD playback or the player/codec can’t utilize your CPU efficiently, if the former you need to buy a new computer.
Step 3 - Now that your convince that your computer is REALLY capable of playing 720p or 1080p HD content, we will need to do further troubleshooting, now we try playing it on other player if you use VLC the first time now use MPlayer Classic and see if you get the same result, if you do go into the preference / option tab or the player’s setting and disable H.264 and Rename the file to .avi (I just read this somewhere) and try playing the file again to see if you have the same result if you did go to the next step.
Step 4 - Now that step 3 didn’t fix or Slow HD playback problem, we might need to install non free codec like CoreAVC, However before purchasing CoreAVC I would like to let you know that the only way I was able to play 720p and 1080p HD videos on my laptop perfectly is by using PowerDVD cost $49, it was able to play all my 720p and 1080p HD videos perfectly, and only utilize 50% on each of my core, leaving me enough resource to surf and do something else on my computer, my Apsire 8920 spec.
Hope this helps.If you accidentally came here looking for Codec: Vista Codec Package(Vista Only) | CCCP
- 10 Steps | Remove Virus | Spyware Scanner Download | Free Software
- Easy Network troubleshooting | DNS Problem Guide
- Howto change DNS Server IP to OpenDNS
- Fix | COM Surrogate Error | Windows Vista
- 9 Easy Steps | Setting up a secured home wireless network
- Howto Permanently deleting files | data on your hard disk
- Full filesystem backup | ufsdump - For *nix