To change Sendmail's baner just edit /etc/mail/sendmail.cf, make sure to backup before editing it, then look for "SmtpGreetingMessage" and edit the line after "$j" then restart Sendmail, the line below is the default entry in sendmail.cf.
# SMTP initial login message (old $e macro)
O SmtpGreetingMessage=$j Sendmail $v/$Z; $b
First a brief description of VRFY and EXPN before e disable it
- VRFY permits someone to telnet to your server and verify that an email address is valid. Its purpose is to permit a remote server to check whether a particular email address is valid before sending email.
- EXPN permits someone to telnet to your server and expand an alias into the list of actual email recipients. For example, if you have an email list called "greyhound-adoption", anyone could "expn greyhound-adoption" and get the list of all the member addresses in "greyhound-adoption".
# privacy flags
Just incase your new to command line, to backup a file just do the command below
$ cp fileyouwanttobackup filenameofbackupfile.datehere
To restart Sendmail, on most Unix and Linux use the following command
$ /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
On Solaris 10, you will need to use svcadm refresh
Computer and Network problem | Windows | How to below:
- 10 Steps | Remove Virus | Spyware Scanner Download | Free Software
- Easy Network troubleshooting | DNS Problem Guide
- Howto change DNS Server IP to OpenDNS
- Fix | COM Surrogate Error | Windows Vista
- 9 Easy Steps | Setting up a secured home wireless network
- Howto Permanently deleting files | data on your hard disk
- Full filesystem backup | ufsdump - For *nix